Home for my rants, raves and general sharing of 'insytes'. Some of you will enjoy this gathering of text - others will wonder how I tricked them into giving me a Blogger's license...

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Oh look. She did it. Kind of.

Here I am. Finally. After months and months of talking about it, I finally have my own blog. Why did it take so long, who knows? I had the means. I had the will to write. I could easily find the time. Maybe it simply boils down to the fact that I like to write in a certain font and I could not get what I wanted set up on my profile. What gives? Do the techies developing software not realize there are people like me who are visually stimulated and, quite admittedly, a little quirky…who like pretty fonts? I just can’t explain it. I read as I type and reading in Arial throws me off. I can set up my Outlook anyway I want - why not my blog or my online journal?

Oh boy, can’t believe I break into the world of blogging with a rant about the lack of pretty fonts available to me. Hmmm…maybe it is better if these Web 2.0 tools stay with techies and don’t land in the hands of marketing people. Please make it easy for me to change my fonts so I don’t have to go back to a life using Word and/or hand writing letters. Eek gad - did we really used to do that? :)

I guess this is a perfect example of why we need to push the idea of Web2point1. What is Web2point1 you ask? Quite simply - it is a belief that everyday people should be able to use the fabulous tools coming out without having to know how to write code. Look, I am lucky enough most days to get my Treo to work - asking me to write a paragraph of HTML to ensure I get the right font (like how I circle back?…) is just plain ridiculous and will ensure I do not use your tool. That is, of course, until my live-in superman Chris sets up the blog for me with all the bells and whistles so all I have to do is type. Thanks baby. You really are the best.

Plain and simple…make it easy for us common folk to grasp this stuff. Spend more time learning what it is I need to make my life simpler and create that. Can you imagine the things we can accomplish if technology greats spent a day in the room with someone from say HR or Marketing to hear about their pain points - then solved those pain points with amazing technology? Wow. Just gives me goose pimples thinking about it.

There is so much to be gained if we take a moment to step back, try to see the world through someone else’s eyes and listen to what is going on around us. Yes, listen. What a concept. I am far from perfect on this practice, but I am trying and hope this is a trend that sticks. We all need to take those baby steps to better our communication skills, and help those around us secure what is needed to ensure this world moves forward in a positive manner.

2 Comments:

Blogger   said...

Arial sucks. (Oh, and welcome to the blogosphere!)—Jack Yan, font designer

7:34 PM

 
Blogger Kristie Wells said...

Thanks Jack - glad someone else feels my pain - nd can do something about it!

7:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home