Home for my rants, raves and general sharing of 'insytes'. Some of you will enjoy this gathering of text - others will wonder how I tricked them into giving me a Blogger's license...

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Lovecats Unite!

I just finished reading Tim Sanders' 'Love is the Killer App - How to Win Business and Influence Friends'. Wow. What a great book. One of those books that inspires you to want to be a better person and finds you immediately rereading it again to make sure you soaked it all up.

I have always believed in sharing your knowledge, connecting people within your network and showing compassion to those around me - but somehow it really hits home seeing it in print. Funny how that works...

What it boils down to is nice, smart people do finish first. If you wish to be successful in business - or your personal life - you need to be a lovecat. What do I (and Tim of course) mean by 'love?'. He used a definition from Milton Mayerhoff in the book 'On Caring': 'Love is the selfless promotion of the growth of the other'. Yep, that about sums it up. Basically - when you help others to become the best they possibly can be, you are loving and you grow too. Everybody wins.

After reading this book, I did one of those life recaps - both in business and on my personal side. I believe I am on the right track. Can I do better? Absolutely. All of us can. One of the glaring points that came out of the exercise was realizing I need to diversify my reading list. I had always leaned toward Koontz or King as I love a good mystery. Thankfully Chris is a book monster and has been gracious in his lovecat ways to share his knowledge and expose me to these type of books - shall I go so far as to call them self-help? This Sanders guy has some good stuff to say, so he is now on my radar. Now I need to return the love. Yes, Chris enjoyed the Harry Potter book I gave him - but I am sure there is more out there. I also need to improve my memory. I am very good at certain things - but my memory is shotty at best. Doesn't help to read more if I can't retain the info. Think they have tapes for that. Or maybe I will try some of that gingko biloba stuff. Or...maybe I'll go crazy and do both. Why not?

The book gives six key benefits of being a lovecat. I am sure there are 100's of benefits, but this seemed like a good short list everyone could easily remember:

  • You build an outstanding brand as a person
  • You create an experience
  • You have access to people's attention
  • You harness the power of positive presumption
  • You receive exceptional feedback
  • You gain personal satisfaction

I feel I have a good brand. People know I am true to my word and I won't make promises I can't keep. Reputation is everything in this world. Do I create an experience? Sure - whether that is deemed positive or negative...I'll need to think on that one a little more...hopefully more the former - actually, yes...more the former. People do listen to me. They may not always follow my advice, but they still ask the questions. Positivity kicks ass. I have a great circle of friends and co-workers around me willing to share the love. I have a good life and I am happy with the relationships I have. Would like more of course, but I think that is natural.

I also need to encourage those around me to become lovecats. This is a longer term 'project', but one I take on gladly as I know it will help to make this world we live in a better place and the best way to do this is to lead by example. I have a good start on the process I just need a little refining on my end and I think this will spread like a wildfire.

One last quote from the book and then I am done. It is from the Dalai Lama who once said 'Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to to enjoy it a second time.' You know, he is a pretty smart guy too. Maybe I will read more from the Dalai Lama. Guess I should buy stock in Amazon.com - looks like I will be making them a bit of money.

Rock on you lovecats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home