Home for my rants, raves and general sharing of 'insytes'. Some of you will enjoy this gathering of text - others will wonder how I tricked them into giving me a Blogger's license...

Monday, October 24, 2005

Politicians scare me.

We have a calendar at work which provides a dumb quote for every day in the year and it is interesting (or should I say frightening) to me how many of them come from our illustrious politicians.

For example:

"There are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are alson unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know that we don't know."
Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, trying to clarify the war on terrorism, during a pentagon briefing.

"You know, Tim, that's one of the things that will be debated."
New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, after being asked by NBC's Tim Russert why he didn't use buses to evacuate residents in accordance with the city's evacuation plan

"I AM the federal government."
Tom DeLay, to the owner of Ruth's Chris Steak House, after being told to put out his cigar because of federal government regulations banning smoking in the building

"You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a chance to have their fair say."
Former President Bill Clinton addressing the people of Philadelphia in the Courtyard, City Hall, Philadelphia, PA.

"I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law."
David Dinkins, Former New York City Mayor

"God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan.' And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq ...' And I did. And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East.' And by God I'm gonna do it."
President George Bush, as quoted by former Palestinian foreign minister Nabil Shaath, during a top-level meeting with Bush in June 2003

I know there are 1000's more where these came from - this is just what I pulled off the calendar over the last week. There is so much I want to say on this subject - just how much, how often and to whom are all up in the air. It is easy for me to say 'we really need to band together to ensure dimwits like this do not get into office - just how exactly do we do this?

Is there a politician out there that is worthy of our vote? I am not so sure there is. Maybe we need a viable candidate on a third party ticket who will not vote one way just because his/her party says too. Why do we need to be Republician or Democrat anyway? Let's start blending together and making this a better country for ALL. Stop the bickering in the Congress and the Senate. What a waste of time, energy and money. Let's strike a happy medium and be socially liberal, financially conservative. Doesn't that have a great ring to it? Let's take care of our own FIRST. I agree we should help others outside the U.S. - but when we choose to raise millions of dollars for Tsunami victims and then just step over the homeless person on our own doorstep - it has to make you wonder where our heads are at.

So many people think getting Bush out of office would make all the difference. Do you seriously think we would have been any better off right now if Kerry was in there? Others are putting their hopes on Hillary for 2008. Please. Can you really get behind a woman who would put her dignity aside and won't divorce the man who continually cheated on her as she knew it bettered her chances to advance in the political ring? What about McCain? Dean?

What would I look for in the perfect candidate: I want someone young[er] in office - let's say 45/50. Putting a 70 year old in the hot seat just seems wacky to me. Someone who worked HARD for a living. Let them have started in the mail room and worked their way - honestly and without malice - to the CEO's chair to truly appreciate *everyone's* position. Someone passoniate about turning this country around. Intelligent. Let's not forget well spoken. A woman would be cool - but I won't vote for her if her platform is not solid. This is not a gender race - it is all about the issues. And if I can be so bold as to add a request for them to have a sense of humor as well - to me, that would make a well rounded candidate.

So, where are you? Maybe I am looking at you in the mirror. Or you standing across from me in the checkout line. Maybe it is the one that I wake up to every morning. Or that women in the red shirt. I don't know - let's just find that person and give them the tools they need to help us all make a difference. Our lives depend upon it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home