Home for my rants, raves and general sharing of 'insytes'. Some of you will enjoy this gathering of text - others will wonder how I tricked them into giving me a Blogger's license...

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Time to put up or shut up

Every December, I, like millions of others around the world, put together a list of promising resolutions for the coming year - and - like millions of others around the world...lose sight of the list by around April.

This year I intend to change that habit and I am starting by putting my resolutions in writing on my blog to make myself accountable...to me. There is so much going on and so much I need to accomplish - I can't afford to lose another year just stumbling by.

So, in 2006 I intend to:

(1) Exercise. A knee injury over six years ago killed my gym habit and ensured the 'winter coat' I am carrying remained thick. Recent photos popping up on Flickr have shocked me into realization that one cannot simply wish the weight gone - activity is a requirement. I need to get over being pissed at myself for allowing my body to get this way and channel my energy into a reasonable workout plan. My body will see positive change over the next twelve months.

(2) Get healthy. This is way different than excercise to me. I get sick too darn easily and I need to build my body to last another 50 years. I think a good way to start is taking a multi vitamin every day, eating more veggies and focus on building up my immune system. I need to make (and keep) the appointment with my sinus surgeon to finally figure out if I am battling allergies or if he needs to go in and alter what I was born with. I also need to get back into physical therapy to get my knees back into top form. Hard to ski, hike and bike if it hurts to walk.

(3) Save. Gosh I love spending money. However, as I near my 40's (eek gad, it really is just around the corner), I realized I need to have a large rainy day fund. I have set my goals of how much I should have at the end of 2006 and it doesn't matter whether I use it for travel, a house, our wedding - whatever, it just needs to be there. It is funny,
Chris and I were chatting about this topic last night over tequila shots - amazing how the alcohol gave me so much clarity.

(4) Volunteer more. Give back to the community. 2005 gave me the opportunity to donate my mad skills on the BrainJams events, but I realized there is so much more for society I can do. I cruised through Volunteer Match's website and zeroed in on a couple assisted living communities that I believe would be well suited to my personality. I think it would be a wonderful thing to try and spread a little light in the lives of San Francisco's elderly. There are orientations I need to attend that don't start until January - but once those are behind me, I will be unleashed onto them and hoping to make some killer friendships there.

I am also going to finally attend the Duboce Triangle neighborhood monthly meetings as I need to be more active in what happens where I live. Who knows, maybe I will even run for a board seat...

(5) Read. Retain. I have been good at soaking up a lot of stellar books over the past two years, but I am having a hard time remembering who said what and why the book impacted me. Maybe I need gingko, maybe I just need to make notes once I am done so I can refer back to them - but I will do better in this department.

(6) Create. I started painting a couple of years ago and enjoyed the freedom it gave me. Won't commit to do a lot, but I think it would be benficial for me to open this outlet again.

There might be more...but I think this is a good, accomplishable list to start with. The key is to stay focused, stay strong and remember the more I do now - the easier my life will be in the future. It will be interesting to look back on this twelve months from now and see how well I did.








2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

That's an excellent list... I share more than a few of them. all worthy goals, and you have a good positive attitude about them all, which definitely helps. I have the same stupid sinus problem - mine is a deviated septum, and I'd sure love to get a new nose for 2006 while I'm at it ;) A multivitamin is an excellent step - I take one of those one for women, and I've definitely noticed a huged improvement in my energy. Veggies are good too ;)

have you seen 43things.com? it's an online goal site that lets you keep track of progress on things. very cool. i'm on there (http://www.43things.com/person/writeonwriteoff) and it might be a fun way to complete goals. blogging about them is a good step, but this site is a nice little community which is encouraging - even jus to see that other people are dealing with the same stuff as you :) go check it out (and no, I don't work for them :p)

9:11 AM

 
Blogger Kristie Wells said...

Thanks woman - I have heard of 43things, I just never checked out the site so I will make sure to do so now. It will be a true test of my will power to get through the list, but know it is a necessity to focus on at least two of them for sure. Cheerio.

4:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home