Home for my rants, raves and general sharing of 'insytes'. Some of you will enjoy this gathering of text - others will wonder how I tricked them into giving me a Blogger's license...

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Dalai Lama Visiting Stanford University

His Holiness the Dalai Lama is set to visit Stanford University on November 4th and 5th to discuss meditation, nonviolent conflict resolution, and is also hosting an academic conference entitled "Craving, Suffering, and Choice: Spiritual and Scientific Explorations of Human Experience". Silly me did not know this until today, now that tickets are sold out, my chances of being close to His Holiness are next to nil. Bummer.

I try to broaden my understanding of different religions and cultures through related seminars, concerts, exhibits, films, and other cultural events. I want to be part of shaping the world to become a better place not just for me, but for generations following. Exposing yourself to masters of compassion such as the Dalai Lama cultivates the love cats within ourselves.

I will be completely honest - I am not up to date on the trials and tribulations of the Tibetan people, and know little of what they have had to endure under China's rule. I do know that I am inspired by great people. Selfless people. I am curious to know more about this God-man who has been a tireless advocate for peace and religious understanding. The Dalai Lama has been living in exile from his ravaged homeland for most of his adult life - and yet he continues to live, breathe and preach tolerance and mutual respect to our fellow man. I am moved by his quiet perseverance. He is not just about positive thinking, it is all about positive being.

One of the books I have read by the Dalai Lama is the Art of Happiness - there are four key points and I thought important to share them:

1. The purpose of life is happiness.

2. Happiness is determined more by the state of one’s mind than by one’s external conditions, circumstances, or events—at least once one’s basic survival needs are met.

3. Happiness can be achieved through the systematic training of our hearts and minds, through reshaping our attitudes and outlook.

4. The key to happiness is in our own hands.

I have a purpose driven life. I am happy. They say good will makes you feel good - and I have the will to do good. Watch out world - here I come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home