Home for my rants, raves and general sharing of 'insytes'. Some of you will enjoy this gathering of text - others will wonder how I tricked them into giving me a Blogger's license...

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

You know you are having a good time when...

you forget to take any photos. :)

I was clearing out the memory card this morning when I realized I had only taken two photos Saturday during the BBQ we had at our house. And the kicker, only one of those two photos turned out
decent (so cute of Lori, but came out blurry as I think my settings are all screwy).

It got me thinking back to a couple of conversations I have had recently with regards to the responsibility I feel to take photos at the events we go to and/or the events we host. Chris calls it 'digitally archiving'. I call it simply 'wishing to capture to moment and have something to look back on years down the road'. It all comes down to whether or not you feel you lose some of the conversation going on around you if you are caught up in capturing the moment through a lens.

I can walk and chew gum at the same time, so I feel pretty confident I can hold a conversation and take photos at the same time. But wishing to test the waters out - I decided to play with this theory a bit. Interestingly enough, I have noticed those around me will stop talking while I get the shot (even if I continue the conversation). When I ask them about it, most respond they stopped so they did not distract me. Funny, I think to myself, my desire to take this photo has actually distracted them.

So going forward I will be more conscious of trying not to take a 400 photos at an event, with my camera click-clicking away. Just maybe 50 or so, hoping it won't interrupt the conversations around me as much. I am an extremely visual girl and I need (not want, need) to try and capture as much of our life experiences as possible within my lens. This way, in 40 years when my mind is total mush, I can look back on these moments and have something that will hopefully trigger those memories for me. Some are times are so good, I will want to relive them three or four times around.


Technorati tags: shootingphotos conversations distraction distractions memories

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home