Home for my rants, raves and general sharing of 'insytes'. Some of you will enjoy this gathering of text - others will wonder how I tricked them into giving me a Blogger's license...

Monday, February 06, 2006

SuperBowl Monday - a new National holiday?

Today I stumbled across a website asking people to sign a petition to have the Monday after the Superbowl become a National holiday. Now, I don't know how serious the guy is, but as I was discussing this idea with a couple of friends I started thinking this IS brilliant.

Everyone I know either (1) throws a Superbowl party or (2) attends one. While the game doesn't start until 3pm, most people begin gathering around the keg at 1pm to catch the pre-game highlights and get as many squares on the betting sheet as possible. I also don't know many that end before 10pm.

Superbowl Sunday is always a fun, but really long day for me. Chris and I usually host a party and neither one of us are the type to simply boil hot dogs and throw a bag of chips on the table. We enjoy making the party a little more special and spend the time to make things like homemade pulled pork sandwiches, macaroni and cheese and dips that come with no less than 15 ingredients. (P.S. Big shot out to FoodTV) So, the party planning takes a little more time and a little more out of us, but I am always happy with the end result and our guests seem to come back time and time again.

As the party starts to wind down, you will find us doing a light cleaning to offset the chaos we would wake up to, but it would be fabulous to have the day after the Superbowl off to give us the time to do things leisurely. Of course, I could always take a vacation or personal day for the time off – but how cool it would be to have that as a National holiday as 'the Superbowl is the only event that two people can be at completely at war about, and still laugh eat & drink together.’ (Quote courtesy of anonymous commenter on the website)

Now, shouldn’t we as a Nation recognize this phenomena and celebrate it with a holiday? Get your vote in now.

Technorati Tags: superbowlsunday superbowlmonday partyplanning nationalholiday rockthevote

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home