Home for my rants, raves and general sharing of 'insytes'. Some of you will enjoy this gathering of text - others will wonder how I tricked them into giving me a Blogger's license...

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I am just meant to have short hair

I love looking at photo albums and seeing the various hairstyles I have had over the last 20 years. They really do run the gamut - short and choppy, medium length bob, long and curly.

The funny thing is, over all this time, I have never found a style that feels good to me. I have found some I like a lot, but nothing that makes me think this is 'the one'. What usually happens is:
  • It gets long - I cut it short.
  • It is short, I get the itch to grow it long.
  • I use extensions to get me through the growing out phase.
  • I cut it short again as I realize long hair doesn't look good on me.
BLAH!!!

So creature of habit, most of you I have been trying to grow it out again.

Now, I don't know what the actual turning point was, but today it finally sunk in that I am not meant to have long, glamourous hair. Just not in my genes (thanks mom). My hair is super fine. Girls with super fine hair need to keep shorter styles. Ok, ok. I get it. Enough fighting what mother nature cursed me with (oops, I mean gave me) and off to the salon I go.

And then it happens - the hair cut I was meant to have. Just like that. With a stylist you have never met before too. It is a funny feeling. You are sitting in the chair chatting away on nothing in particular and then you look up. The perfect hair cut. The one you have been searching for all your life. Staring back at you in the mirror. Wow.

Floating on Cloud 9, you skip all the way home, excited to share your new look with your loved one.

You walk up the stairs grinning ear to ear and when your loved one sees you - he smiles - then he tells you he doesn't like it. Fuck. Oh well. Can't blame him for being honest. He is the type of boy who likes long hair. He, unfortunately for him, loves a girl with super fine hair.

So he will deal with it as I am keeping my style. I love it...and that is all that matters in the long run.

NOTE: Blogger is acting up again and won't add my photos. Will post if I can get it to work. Otherwise you will just have to wait to see me in person. :)

Technorati tags: haircut perfecthaircut newlook hairstyles

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you on the hair cut. I am a hair stylist(22 years) and still haven't found my cut. I always say that our hair is mother nature's little joke.

8:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Short hair (aka the Sarah McLachlan look) is for you, always has been .. always will be.

10:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the medium and short ones. Especially the medium one.

Mine is medium. I once had a long one but it was difficult to maintain :D

Yet, maybe I'll try the short one after I go home from this lovely vacation :D

12:34 AM

 
Blogger Kristie Wells said...

anonymous #1 - thank you.

anonymous #2 - peaked my interest as to who you are as you seem to have know me 'back in the day'...

I do agree the SM haircut was a good one for me - but somehow I think losing 50 pounds would help ANY haircut I have today. :)

la agua - thank you for your comments. This sounds funny to say, but the shorter ones always seem to be less maintenance than the longer styles. You would think it the other way around, but it always rings true for me. Enjoy the rest of your trip - whereever you are.

8:24 AM

 
Blogger Debra said...

Kristie,

I, too, have the superfine hair.. but whole lot of it. So it looks OK long (but always straight... my hair won't take a curl at all), but it is HOT. Not "Hot".. a good thing but thermal.

So it's very short now, easy to care for, lets some air into the scalp. Waiting to see your new do.

8:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is quite clear, through reading parts of this trivial, boring site, that you have too much free time. Hair isn't the most important thing in the world, why don't you try forgetting about your hair, or alternatively worry about your hair, but don't tell every1, just a suggestion from a stranger. GET A LIFE DEAR GOD, this site makes you come across as shallow, and dull. Do something for charity, do something for a friend, but please stop talking about your fucking hair.
xxx
xxx

4:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife has fine hair, and it's stick-straight. It's to her butt now, but it's taken a LOT of convincing to get her to grow it back from short. Family, except for me, hates it, but strangers LOVE it. I guess it's the goofy "women over 40 shouldn't have long hair" idea. Health permitting, the hair is staying long for life. Screw the nay-sayers. She looks younger and sexier than ever to me. Be well!

3:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home