Home for my rants, raves and general sharing of 'insytes'. Some of you will enjoy this gathering of text - others will wonder how I tricked them into giving me a Blogger's license...

Friday, September 08, 2006

'Tis the conference season...

...but really, when is it not?

I need to import my Upcoming calendar into this blog, but true to form...Blogger is acting up on me. (I know, I know. I have been trying to move to Wordpress for three months now. Whatever.) For now we will do it the old fashioned way.

Here is a sampling of where I will be over the next couple of months. Of course, there are 100's of smaller events whittled inbetween these, but I figured you can go to Upcoming and see the rest.
There are also some events I wish I could attend, but can't due to scheduling conflicts, such as Blogger Meetup, Lunch 2.0 'Web Expo' Blowout, BlogOrlando, Social Media Club London, Social Media Club New York, Social Media Club Miami, Social Media Club Los Angeles, WoolfCamp, and Blogs Wikis & Social Media.

They say the beauty of living in Silicon Valley is there is always something going on. They also say the negative side of the valley is there is always something going on.


Technorati tags: events calendar conference unconference busygirl

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristie Wells said...

OMG. I am an idiot. How could I have forgotten my WC'ers?! Sorry Gracie. I guess I am suffering from short term memory loss, and I had not seen it on Upcoming when I scrolled through the events I was watching. I have now added it, as it is definitely an event I would have liked to be at.

As for Office 2.0...no, I am not boycotting. Yes, the conference organizers have a responsibilty to find a diverse panel and I would hope they make that effort. Shame on them if they did not. But if the 'most qualified' person to speak on a topic happens to have a penis, I will not fault the organizers for choosing that person.

I also feel if there is a conference that you wish to speak at - you have to be proactive and ASK for the slot. Waiting until the last day of panel selection and then creating a scene to get noticed just doesn't feel right to me. If women really wanted to be part of the panel for this conference, it seems to me it would have been on their radar from July, and they would have noticed the list being filled with men and would have been talking about it for the two weeks prior. But crying foul on the last day of panel selection when you didn't take any action to get on the panel in the first place just seems odd to me.

Stick a stake in me if you must, but it is how I feel.

This discussion takes me back to when a previous boyfriend was trying to get into the fire academy. He was a young white male, totally qualified for the role. However, there was a quota the academy had to fill of certain amount of women, certain races, etc. that kept him out - even though he was more qualified than some of the ones that got in. That's is where I draw the line. I want women represented - but not when it means they only get the role because there is quotient that must be filled.

8:33 AM

 
Blogger Kristie Wells said...

Gracie, I have so much to say on this topic that I think I just need to write a post on it rather than piece mail it in comments. So hang tight, I type fast, but there is a lot to say.

As for WC, I would love to be at the next one - so letme know when you block the time out.

11:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home