Home for my rants, raves and general sharing of 'insytes'. Some of you will enjoy this gathering of text - others will wonder how I tricked them into giving me a Blogger's license...

Friday, May 12, 2006

That was the easiest transaction - ever!

So Mother's Day is this Sunday. True to form, I have been sweating out the last couple of weeks trying to get the women who has everything (and if she doesn't - she goes out and gets it) a little 'something something'.

Crap - note to mom: stop reading if you don't want to ruin your surprise...

Both my mom and dad are extremely hard to shop for as they don't really want for
anything. Well, they want their kids around them more - but honestly - they are the ones who moved six hours away so quarterly visits are all I can muster these days. Sorry folks. You should have thought of that before you went and got all selfish. You know - drinking Corona, eating fresh crab, and waking up to the sounds of the ocean out your bedroom window every day. I can't believe you wanted to leave the Bay Area for all of that. BLEH. :)

So they also don't
need anything. They both kicked ass years ago and now have the ability to lay low for a while and enjoy this next phase of life. Lucky sons of bitches. Looks like I have a lot more ass to kick as those are big shoes to fill...

Anyway, my dad hates us to spend money on them, so over the last couple
of years it has been a contest to see who can come up with the funniest or most clever gifts. I take this mission seriously and, unfortunately, have found myself faltering as of late. Sure I can find funny crap, but try finding funny crap that is not cheap looking. The last thing I wish to do is clutter my parents house with a bunch of Elvis prints on black felt. Of course, it would make them the talk of the town - but I prefer to spend my money on the finer things - you know, like a shower curtain with pink flamingos all over it. No need to thank me dad. I know it was stellar.

So here I am - two days away from Mother's Day and I have nothing. Zilch. Nada. So what do I do? Well, I do the next best thing and decide to send mom flowers. No, it is not very creative. Not unusual at all - but at least it is something - right?

So I dig through my phone to find the name of the local florist I used last time I sent our matriarch greens (my mom was speechless for a couple of days on the last one so I know this florist scored big) and gave her a ring. Within 5 minutes she knows how much I wish to spend, what my mom's favorite colors are and where they need to be delivered. And the kicker - she asked me to send her a check as she doesn't take credit cards. Should I send it via Fed Ex I ask? Nope. Just drop it in regular snail mail as she works off the honor system. Holy crap. Are you for real? I have only spoken to this lady one other time in my life - and that was almost a year ago - and yet she treated me like we were old friends.

So she gets me thinking how easy this transaction is and because of that, she now has me as a client forever. I will never - ever - use any other florist up there. hey, now that I think about it, I should see if she can send flowers anywhere as maybe I can use her for our wedding...

What a true joy to work with someone who still believes in the old 'handshake' philosophy. I give you my word I will send a check and she performs services as she believes me. Golly. This gets me so excited! She is one of those good people doing really nice things. She believes in reputation. She knows providing great customer service leaves us consumers drooling. She is one of those people who trust other people. I love it.

So thank you Janet from Creations by Janet. You saved my ass this year and you were a true delight to work with.
(Note: She does not have a website, but can be reached at 541.412.9090).


Photo credit: Vacationtime

Technorati tags: florist mothersday gift greatservice trust reputation
creationsbyjanet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home